This week we dive into CrossFit and the misconceptions that come with it. We know there is an endless amount of information to be found and heard from. But it’s time to address these misconceptions and steer you in a direction towards health, the ultimate goal of this functional fitness program.
“But you need to be in shape before you try that crazy stuff”.
Some of our greatest success stories at CrossFit Stevens Point come from very humbling beginnings. Our program is results driven. We take a look at your starting point regardless of what it may be and set you on a path of improvement. Your first experiences give us a platform to build from by encouraging and teaching you to move well. You can get an understanding of how your body moves and through practice and repetition gain confidence in your own abilities to perform functional movements. Once we accomplish those things we can then apply intensity. That’s where we get results. Getting you in shape is a natural progression through hard work and repetition. Our coaching and class environment create an atmosphere that encourages you to work hard, move well, and reap the benefits of high intensity training. Results driven benefits like increased stamina, capacity, flexibility, mental health, weight loss, strength gain, and fighting off chronic disease like diabetes and heart disease. The unintended results are a huge driver in our program. You may not have signed up for fitness to create a better social life or to increase your productivity and cognitive function at work but it comes with the program.
“Everyone gets hurt doing CrossFit”
One of my favorites. Engaging in any kind of physical activity comes with risk. You see it everyday in sports. It isn’t the program that lends a high risk of injury but generally the decisions that are made to lead to an undesirable event or injury. Finding a gym that pays attention to detail and identifies areas of high risk in a specific athlete is a good step in the right direction. Your coaches should genuinely have your best interest in hand. That means modifying movements when appropriate. We take the time to understand when an athlete is “overdoing it” and needs to step back from the intensity to focus on “quality over quantity”. Being able to identify precursors that may lead to potential injury and setting an athlete up to avoid such a problem is paramount. If pain or injury does arise it is more important than ever to be able to distinguish between the two and take necessary step towards recovery. A very good argument can be made that remaining sedentary and eating cookies and ice cream every night is far more dangerous than going to the gym. Movement is the name of the game and we encourage you to move and do it well!
“I saw CrossFit on TV, you have to be a machine to do that”.
Athletes you see on TV or the freaks you’ve heard about at your local gym make up a VERY small percentage of the population. Literally 1% of the population. There is the sport of CrossFit where athletes dedicate every decision they make towards the goal of being a high level competitor. And then we have the affiliate model that make up the remaining 99%. At CFSP we utilize the CrossFit program to develop the overall health and longevity of the athletes we work with. We get this done by putting together a well thought out fitness program that challenges our athletes to become well versed in as many areas of fitness as we can be. At our gym we make decisions prioritized around sustainability.
“My buddy did CrossFit and he hated it.”
We could spend an entire blog post of “finding the right gym”. And that takes research and trying out different facilities. But generally there are things you should be looking for to identify a facility that takes care of their clients. It starts with caring and coaching. It’s actually that simple. If you find a gym owner and staff that makes eye contact with you and connects with you, you’re off to a good start. If you find a place where coaches and athletes are enthusiastic about what they do it’s very likely they take the time to lead by example and move well themselves. Taking new athletes through an introduction or fundamentals program to cover basic movement mechanics and understanding of CrossFit is a must for success right out of the gate. That’s where your foundation and relationships are built. You need to be exposed to the program and be ready to put your best foot forward in the pursuit of health and fitness.
The CrossFit program is making it’s way as the premiere fitness program across the world and for good reason. It’s a program designed for anyone and everyone. Those ready to believe, commit, and execute are the ones moving forward on a path to health and happiness. Take these considerations into account the next time you come across one of these stereotypes.